Monday, October 1, 2007

Hai-Kai

2 trumpets, horn, trombone, euphonium, tuba

The 2007 entry to the BCMW contest, this time, is Brazilian. It's meant to sound like guitar music, and was inspired by such. It originally was going to be Haiku, but when I looked it up in Portuguese, it turns out that the poetic form in Brazil is something related but not identical called hai-kai, which has three lines but a less strict syllabic structure. You can probably tell by this page's colors that I like blue, so I wrote a poem (it's not very good, I'm sure), which translates roughly to "The morning sky/Shines on the ocean/Paints it blue". I know that HTML always messes up symbols, but I'm going to try to title it faithfully below anyway. The movements are named with the lines of the poem, and the only extramusical meaning I managed to insert was the sun in the first movement -- see if you can pick it out.

Listen to Hai-Kai - I - O céu da manhã (right-click to download)
Listen to Hai-Kai - II - Brilha no oceano (right-click to download)
Listen to Hai-Kai - III - Pinta-o de azul (right-click to download)

No comments: