Monday, October 1, 2007

Tolyo March

2 trumpets, horn, trombone, euphonium, tuba

This was my final project for Music 51; it's a brass sextet with the same instrumentation as Tower and it's a cute little march. The theme is just something I'd had in my head before, so since I had to write something, I figured a march would be most fun though most unoriginal. However, most everyone else wrote less exciting music and I got thunderous applause. I think it was my first time conducting at a performance, too. The Harvard Brass Ensemble performed a rendition (which differed from the original in many points, but such are marches) on May 6, 2006, in Sanders Theater.

The present "recording" does not follow the score exactly; it takes out the horn in one section, and reintroduces it at the end, with everyone else playing shorter and more quietly, with an accelerando. Such is the job of the conductor, I believe, and so I intentionally did not include these changes in the score. I may arrange it for band one day; we'll see. I originally wanted this to be in a Japanese march style, like Hello Sunshine, and titled it Tokyo provisionally. But I misspelled it. Whoops. And it stuck.

Listen to Tolyo (right-click to download)

No comments: